Sunday, June 3, 2012

OS X Mountain Lion - Will It Perform?


Very soon Apple will be announcing it's 8th incarnation of Mac OS X named "Mountain Lion". The next OS X will bring it closer to Apple's mobile operating system iOS. Some new features will include: greater iCloud integration, Messages - replacing iChat, you can now send messages to any Mac or iOS device, Twitter integration, Notes, Reminders, Notification Center, Airplay Mirroring and much more.



Although this upgrade looks quite exciting, I am a little concerned that Apple hasn't announced any performance related features. The last Mac OS X that really impressed me was 10.6 "Snow Leopard", which addressed many previous problems with 10.5 "Leopard" and fixed these problems. Snow Leopard wasn't much of a visual upgrade from "Leopard", it was more of an under-the-hood upgrade. It became lighter, more stable and very reliable. I had no problems with "Snow Leopard" even before any software updates.

Then came the launch of OS X 10.7 "Lion", like many Mac users I was very excited as "Lion" came with many new features and visual updates. After installing OS X "Lion" for the first time, I was plagued with problems. My 2010 iMac 27 turned into a pig. Applications that I heavily used got slower, more memory hungry, and my Wi-Fi kept dropping out. The Wi-Fi issue wasn't fixed until the 10.7.3 update, and I had to double my RAM for my applications to run at optimal performance.

After several updates of "Lion", my Mac is running great with no issues at all. Now with "Mountain Lion" on its way, I am kind of dreading the upgrade more than ever. I really don't want to go through the same shit as I did with Mac OS X "Lion". So I really hope that Apple won't kill the fun out of upgrading to it's new operating system.

Although I'm not holding my breath, it will be nice the see some performance enhancing features shown when "Mountain Lion" is launched at WWDC in June.

1 comment:

  1. Had the same issue too. Will give it a try though as I can always downgrade back to Lion :-)

    ReplyDelete